Integral Strengthening Programme for the Camelid Value Chain in the Bolivian High Plateau (Pro-Camélidos)
IFAD Asset Request Portlet
Publicador de contenidos
Integral Strengthening Programme for the Camelid Value Chain in the Bolivian High Plateau
South American camelids contribute significantly to the Bolivian High Plateau economy. The welfare of the region's population is closely linked to the income derived from their breeding as well as the processing and marketing of their by-products such as wool fibre and meat.
To boost the camelid sector, the Integral Strengthening Programme for the Camelid Value Chain in the Bolivian High Plateau (Pro-Camélidos) will address challenges such as low productivity, limited availability of feed and water, low value-added of raw material and lack of access to services. It builds on previous IFAD-funded projects to further boost and improve camelid-related production in Bolivia.
The programme expands over 47 municipalities in La Paz, Oruro and Potosi departments home to 67 per cent of camelids in Bolivia. 63,942 rural families, composed of small-scale producers, artisans, micro businessmen, indigenous peoples, women and youth, engaged in camelid breeding will benefit from this IFAD-funded intervention.
The programme will contribute to:
- reduce rural poverty and child malnutrition;
- increase physical assets (productive infrastructure) and financial assets (capital) of programme users;
- enhance the integration of business initiatives of programme beneficiaries in the South American camelid production complex value chains;
- increase the income of participating families;
- further adopt practices that are conducive to sustainable natural resource management;
- extend social inclusion to women and young people.